Monday, September 14, 2009

Basil Pesto a.k.a. how to kill a basil plant in one easy meal

Okay, the kids have been grazing all day long, but it is getting close to dinner time. So what do you make that feels like dinner but doesn't require too much effort? If it is summer time, or at least summer seasonal food time, you make pasta with pesto!

I wasn't sure my family would like this. Kids and pasta are a good combo. But, cover a kid's old-stand-by pasta with green stuff, and I don't know if you have a new favorite or a reason for a coup attempt.

So, despite my concerns, I went ahead and committed to make Basil Pesto on SBK page 155. I didn't even hold back on the pound of Kamut pasta, I slathered it all in pesto. Brave soul that I am, I earned a 3 out of 4 rating from the family.

This is a classic basil recipe, and a great way to use up plentiful basil leaves at the end of the season before we get an early frost, or before you cut back plants for planting indoors.

The whole thing came together really well in my old delapidated food processor (the one that will be replaced when this project is over!). It took awhile to get the basil and garlic down to the right texture, but it happens if you are patient as you pulse. Adding the olive oil in the thinnest stream possible is the most sensuous act of the whole process. There is something about it that feels like art. Maybe it is the anticipation. As the measuring cup empties and the food processor bowl turns from grit to green, you get a sense of accomplishment that soon leads to a feeling of "let's eat".

Hot pasta plus pesto is a very good thing. 14 year old loved it, but wanted to know if olive oil was good for him. Yes, I said. So he ate, and ate. Husband liked it and didn't even ask about garlic (which he doesn't love). 10 year old took a no-thank-you portion and decided to eat cereal. I personally could have devoured the whole pot myself. Alone. With a glass of Malbec and a clear conscience. It was that good. Damn good.

Penny Pinching: I won't lie to you, vegan parmesan is expensive. I know the recipe tells you how to store the leftover pesto under a layer of olive oil, but there were no leftovers, so I would count on this recipe making only one meal for 4 diners. Pine nuts are cheaper and usually available at Big Lots. Basil is cheap when in season, or buy a hydroponic basil at Lone Maple Farm or Healthy U and plan to spend about $3 for what you'll need for this recipe. I used Kamut pasta, but you could cut corners and use something off the grocery shelf it you are looking to save some coins.

Help Wanted: This is a great recipe for little helpers. Young kids can pluck basil leaves off the stalks. Older helpers like to whir the food processor.

Enjoy, and don't forget to brush your teeth afterward, especially if you eat the leftovers at work! "Is there anything in my teeth?" Say cheese (or don't if you are vegan)!

No comments:

Post a Comment