Sunday, September 27, 2009

Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Braised Greens, Raisins, and Pine Nuts

I'm not nuts, I knew this would not be a family favorite, but I made it anyway. Don't get me wrong, my sons like spaghetti squash, they just like it slathered in butter and salt and served alongside chicken fingers or hamburgers. So, I had a feeling there would be a lot of leftovers for mom. Sure enough, there were.

Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Braised Greens, Raisins, and Pine Nuts is on page 140 of SBK. The SBs call this a Staple Meal. Hmmmmm, I don't think this is a meal, I think it is more like a side dish.

There are two main components of this dish: the baked spaghetti squash and the braised greens.

It is easy to bake the spaghetti squash, just chop it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and turn it face down on a jelly roll pan lined with parchment. It has to bake at 375 degrees for about an hour.

The braised greens are easy, but take more effort. Top the squash with the braised greens and you have your dish.

Taste test: Only Mom ate the whole dish. My boys all ate spaghetti squash, but none wanted to try the green stuff. I thought it was interesting. The chipotle peppers in adobo sauce give the greens a smokey spicey flavor. The raisins give it some sweetness. I don't know what the pine nuts are supposed to add other than garnish or some al dente body. It was a pretty earthy looking dish.

Penny Pinching: This is a cheap dish. Pantry items plus a $1.79 bunch of fresh kale and a $4.00 spaghetti squash add up to a very reasonable and healthy side dish. I don't think I would serve this to company unless they were vegan or adventurous.

Skinny Bitch Update: So far, so good! I have a very vegan-friendly pantry! I am getting pretty friendly with the smoothies and the different ways to serve vegan chix and burgers. I think my kids will eat anything that is served along side tater tots! But hey, a trip to Healthy U frozen foods department can round out a vegan meal quick and easy! I recommend the tots and fries, but the boys didn't like the onion rings. Don't know why, I loved each and every one of them! Ooopss, was I supposed to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment