Monday, October 12, 2009

Need a Quickie? Quick Tortilla Pizzas are the "G" Rated Response to that Question!

The Skinny Bitches have a section of their cookbook called PMS Pissy Mood Snacks and boy does that apply to me today. So, for lunch I decided to whip up these Quick Tortilla Pizzaswith Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, all on page 37 of SBK.

Wow, quick was an understatement! Most quickies take way longer than this recipe!

The recipe calls for 9-10 inch whole wheat tortillas. But alas, I have Healthy U to thank for Maria and Ricardo's Whole Wheat Wraps which are about 12-14 inches wide. They fit perfectly on a pizza stone!

The sauce was only 4 ingredients: Jar of roasted red peppers, fresh basil, salt and pepper. So, from pantry to windowsill garden to blender - tah dah - sauce.

Top the tortilla with the sauce and then load on the vegan mozzarella, onion and olives. I threw some capers on there too because they were hangin' out in the olive jar.

Results: I loved it! Crispy crust under savory toppings. This would be a great tapas for a coctail party.

Under 15 year old results: I made their pizzas naked - no onion or olives - just plain "cheese". 14 year old asked what kind of sauce it was, said it was gross and ate the whole thing. 10 year old followed suit, but only ate 1/4 of his quickie pizza.

Do Over: Next time maybe I'll use 1/2 the Roasted Red Pepper and substitute fresh tomato for the other half. Or, I could have put thinly sliced tomato on top along with more fresh basil leaves. For someone who wants dairy I think goat cheese would be a groovy addition, too.

Penny Pinching: Vegan cheese will always cost you $5.00 if you use all 10 ounces in the package. But, everything else is easy on the pocket book.

Play around with toppings and let me know what you come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment